Monday, August 10, 2009

Nocturnes

Once more I have been walking around the house, looking at all the books on shelves, floors and in boxes and getting some silly ideas : Get rid of lots of old books! Don´t buy new books (at least only the ones you really need)!
Yeah, sure. I ended up reading in old books, and even ordered some new ones from Amazon too. Weak person indeed!
One of the books that will fill up my house even more is Kazuo Ishiguro´s "Nocturnes". I liked Ishiguro´s first books very much, but I seem to have forgotten the poor guy. But this summer I read a piece by Magnus Eriksson in the Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet, and he seems to like Ishiguro´s short story collection "Nocturnes" very much, and he even recognizes some Canterbury references in there.

Eriksson is a Robert Wyatt fan (I bet on it) and sees connections between Charles Mingus and Wyatt, and even between Frank Sinatra´s recordings from the 50s and Wyatt´s versions of ”I’m a Believer” and ”Yesterday Man”. Did you ever get the same ideas?

If i like the book, I just might come back to it in this blog.

No comments: