Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Paul Dunmall & Chris Corsano


I have to admit that I had not heard about sax man Paul Dunmall until a couple of days ago, but as soon as my eMusic account was full again, I shopped his and drummer Chris Corsano´s,  "Identical Sunsets" (ESP 2010). Thank God it´s a fine free jazz album, because the reason I bought it, was that I saw that Dunmall played bagpipes too!
Paul Dunmall seems to play Northumbrian pipes (arrest me if I´m wrong, but check this YouTube video), and the title track is one long bagpipe solo (the only track with pipes).
"Identical Sunsets" is recorded live in 2008, and I can´t believe it, but the concert talkers are at it again! In my own home now!
Read a better review over at  hos Tiny Mix Tapes.

Until I got this one, I think my only jazz album with bagpipes on it, was"The Cutting Edge" (1974) by Sonny Rollins, with Rufus Harley playing "Swing Low Sweet Chariot".

Now, do we need more bagpipes in jazz? Discuss!

2 comments:

Han-earl Park said...

Yes, more pipes!

BTW, the pipes Paul’s playing in that clip are border pipes (or possibly of a medieval design). He also plays Cabrette and Bulgarian pipes. If you’re curious, check out his Solo Bagpipes CD on FMR.

Keep listening!

Han-earl

Svenn said...

Thank you for commenting here!

OK, more pipes!